2-Day Soft Pretzels
These are incredibly delicious! Please note that this is a pretty complicated recipe compared to most that I post here. I had a hard time getting it right the first time.
- ½ cup warm water
- 1½ tsp yeast
- 2 tbsp dry milk
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp egg
- 1 tsp salt
- 1½ cup flour
- Measure water and pour into mixer bowl
- Sprinkle yeast over warm water, stir to dissolve
- Add the dry milk, sugar, oil, egg, salt, and ¾ cup flour. Mix well after every addition.
- On low speed, gradually add ¾ cup flour, ¼ cup at a time. Mix well after every addition.
- If dough is still sticky, knead more flour into the dough by hand.
- When dough is no longer sticky and there is no flour visible on the outside, put the dough hook on the mixer and knead dough for 3-4 minutes.
- If time allows, let dough rest for 10 minutes
- Cut dough into 6 pieces and roll each piece into approximately 15-18" strips, then shape into pretzels.
- Place on baking pans and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Fill sauce pan with water, approximately half full. Add 1½ tsp baking soda.
- Bring water to a boil. Using a slotted spoon, boil each pretzel for 45 seconds to 1 minute. Lift pretzel out of the water and allow water to drain off.
- Brush the tops of pretzels with an egg wash and sprinkle with course salt if desired.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes